Mayor Law | Portland Personal Injury Law Firm
At Mayor Law, we dedicate our practice to helping victims and families who have suffered injury or loss due to the mistakes and fault of others.
Travis Mayor is an award-winning Portland personal injury lawyer ready to go to battle on behalf of injured Oregonians and their families. From the moment you meet with Travis, you will notice this is not your typical law firm. Built on a reputation of tenacity, diligence, and extremely thorough representation, Travis carefully considers every individual case so he can focus his experience and energy on obtaining the best results for his clients. When you are his client, your needs are top priority.
Defendants and their insurance companies know that Travis is willing and prepared to go to trial, so clients often receive higher settlements that are produced faster than most law firms who are not prepared to litigate.
Travis handles each and every case personally, so throughout the process, you will always know you have a dedicated attorney working hard for you.
BIO│Portland Personal Injury Law Firm
For over a decade, Travis has been solving clients’ personal injury and accident problems both in the courtroom and in settlement negotiations with great success.
A native Oregonian raised in a family of respected attorneys, Travis carries on the tradition of practicing law and learned very early the importance of serving clients with wise legal analysis, advice, representation, and advocacy.
Graduating first in his class with summa cum laude honors, Travis earned his law degree in 2005 from the University of the District of Columbia, David A. Clarke School of Law in Washington, D.C., ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the best law schools in the country for clinical education. He won his first jury trial as a second-year law student, and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review. As an undergraduate, Travis earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Oregon State University.
Launching his legal career at Hoffman, Hart & Wagner, a large personal injury insurance defense firm in Oregon, Travis fiercely negotiated on behalf of clients in state and federal courts in the areas of personal injury, general negligence, employment law, and civil rights. As an insurance defense attorney, Travis gained a wealth of experience and meaningful insight into how the insurance industry defends personal injury claims. Leveraging this expertise and insider perspective, Travis spent five years with the Law Offices of Michael L. Rosenbaum, focusing on personal injury cases and fighting for everyday people facing insurmountable odds against these very same insurance companies.
Today, Travis owns and operates Mayor Law, LLC specializing in Portland motor vehicle accidents, drunk driving cases, defective products, industrial accidents, and wrongful death cases. Throughout his career, Travis has successfully handled hundreds of complex injury claims resulting in large settlements and trial verdicts. In 2015, Travis was selected as a Rising Star by Oregon’s Super Lawyers. Travis is also highly recommended by peers and has a perfect track record of 5-star reviews, according to the prominent lawyer directory, AVVO.
“I am focused and committed to fighting for every penny that my clients are entitled to. My practice is based upon excellence in representation, and making sure clients feel 100% confident and comfortable with me as their lawyer. Reputation is the most valuable asset a lawyer has.”
Travis is married to Aryn Mayor, and they have three children. As an Oregon college football “house-divided” they enjoy watching both Beaver and Duck games, and taking family trips to Sun River and the Oregon Coast.
Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2015
ALI-ABA Scholarship & Leadership Award, American Law Institute and American Bar Association, 2005
Joseph L. Rauh Scholarship, University of the District of Columbia, David A. Clarke School of Law, 2004
J.D., Summa Cum Laude, University of the District of Columbia, 2005
B.S., Business Administration, Oregon State University, 1994
United States District Court, District of Oregon, 2006
Oregon State Courts, 2005
Attorney at Law, Law Offices of Michael L. Rosenbaum, 2008-2013
Attorney at Law, Hoffman Hart & Wagner, 2005-2008
Judicial Law Clerk, U.S. Attorney’s Office Washington D.C., 2004
Clerk Intern, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 2003
Gus J. Solomon American Inn of Court
Oregon State Bar Association
Multnomah County Bar Association
Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What types of cases do you handle?
Answer: Mayor Law is a personal injury law firm specializing in serious Oregon personal injury cases. These are cases in which our clients have suffered a serious injury due to the actions or negligence of others. Typical cases originate from:
- Accidents involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians;
- Accidents occurring in a work environment;
- Injuries caused by the use of defective products (product liability);
- Injuries caused by medical or dental negligence;
- Injuries caused by drunk, drug, or distracted drivers;
- Complex cases involving catastrophic outcomes such as wrongful death, injuries to the neck, brain and spine; and
- Simple or small value property claims for less than $10,000 (often called ORS 20.080).
Frequently, clients are under the impression that lawyers only get involved in large, complex settlements with multi-million dollar awards. The truth is most settlements from motor vehicle accidents, where there are no serious injuries, deaths, or recurring medical treatments, is less than $100,000.
We have concentrated our efforts in developing expertise in Oregon legal statutes, and understand the local requirements of practicing law within Oregon.
While most of our clients are located in Oregon’s large metropolitan areas including Portland, Eugene, Salem, Gresham, Hillsborough, and Beaverton, we serve and will meet clients throughout all areas in Oregon. In the past few years we have provided legal services to clients in all of Oregon’s largest counties including Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Lane, Marion, Jackson, Deschutes, Linn, Douglas, and Yamhill Counties.
As my Oregon Personal Injury Attorney, what legal services will you provide and to what standards of professional conduct?
Answer: As a licensed Attorney in the State of Oregon, Travis has a duty to represent clients and provide services in a competent and professional manner. The Oregon Rules of Professional Conduct for Lawyers published by the Oregon State Bar, defines the rules that govern our profession. While these rules govern Travis’ conduct as a lawyer, he will perform the following duties and tasks for each client as needed:
Focus on Client Needs. This includes:
- Understanding what happened – the case details of who, what, where, when, and how.
- Seek more detail and facts that you might not realize are important.
- Provide guidance on how insurance companies work, the applicable law and legal process, the strengths and weaknesses of your case, and how we will go about developing an effective strategy.
- Help you cut through the confusion of how to cope with the recovery process: get your car fixed, obtain to best medical treatment, and pay your bills.
- Deal with the insurance companies – statements, claim information, PIP Benefits, and Q&A.
Investigate the Case and Establish the Facts. This includes:
- Investigate the details of the case, including: Accident and crash scene photos, police reports, obtain statements of witnesses, police and emergency personnel, and your doctor.
- Review your medical records and doctor statements to determine treatments, restrictions / limitations, levels of pain, complications, and potential future treatments.
- Seek the advice of experts, as needed, to assist in establishing fault, causes, treatments, and financial evaluations.
- Review pertinent laws, regulations, and court cases to establish supportive information and arguments key to developing a comprehensive settlement strategy.
- Finally, determine the best time to send a demand to the insurance company for the person who hit you in order to get as much money as possible for your injury.
Develop and Implement a Settlement Strategy. This includes:
- Summarizing the case and the strategy to obtain a settlement – rationale, costs basis, supportive facts.
- Communicate the strategy to the Client and reach consensus on a course of action.
- Prepare and deliver a settlement demand.
- Conduct detailed negotiations with the insurance companies and their lawyers.
Evaluate Options and Alternatives. This includes:
- Communicate settlement demand responses and offers with the client.
- Develop responses and communicate with insurance companies and their lawyers.
- Develop a final course of action: settlement, arbitration, or litigation.
Reach a final settlement or proceed to arbitration and/or litigation. This includes:
- Draft and review the Settlement Agreement details with the Client – reach consensus.
- Coordinate settlement details with the insurance companies and their lawyers.
- Sign Settlement Agreement.
If Arbitration, and/or Litigation:
- Generate the summons and complaint and file with the appropriate court.
- Serve the summons and complaint in accordance with the requirements of the court.
- Coordinate communications with defendant’s legal counsel.
Prepare for Arbitration, and/or Litigation. This includes:
- Participate in selecting an acceptable arbitrator.
- Prepare arguments and supporting documentation.
- Generate arbitration documents.
- Further investigation into defendant’s background.
- Request and review defendant’s applicable records and documents – previous driving records / violations, convictions, financials, etc…
- Respond to defendant’s request for documents from you (plaintiff).
- Prepare for depositions (defendant, witnesses, police).
- Conduct depositions.
- Prepare you for your deposition and represent you during the deposition.
Arbitrate and/or Litigate the Case. This includes:
- Present and negotiate settlement to arbitrator.
- Review offers with Client and reach consensus on a course of action.
- Settle or proceed to litigation.
- Educate you and potential witnesses on how to prepare for trial – appearance, demeanor, court procedures, and how to respond to questions under pressure.
- Generate supporting documents and exhibits to communicate case arguments and facts – photos, displays, and videos.
- Produce trial records and supporting records.
- Prepare statements, questions, and remarks to address the court — opening statement, direct examination questions, cross-examination tactics, and closing statement.
- Try the case.
- Follow-up with the court and opposing counsel on final actions.
What legal fees do you charge to handle an Oregon personal injury claim / case?
How and when are your legal fees paid?
Answer: At Mayor Law, legal fees are structured on a Contingency Fee Basis in order to eliminate upfront costs to our clients. What this means is the fee to represent you is completely contingent upon obtaining a settlement, and calculated as a percentage of the settlement.
If we do not obtain a settlement, then you pay NO fee.
Our typical contingency fee is one-third of the total settlement. If the case does not settle but proceeds into an arbitration or litigation phase, then the contingency fee will increase slightly to 40%, with the same caveat: if we do not win the case then you pay NO fee. Approaching the fee structure in this manner provides a lower legal cost to those clients whose case settles without the added benefits or expense of arbitration and litigation.
Why should I choose the Mayor Law, personal injury law firm, to represent me?
Results: The Mayor Law, personal injury law firm, and Travis have successfully collected ten-of-millions of dollars in settlements, arbitration awards and jury verdicts for clients. Travis measures his success in the number of client’s whose lives he has helped complete their financial recovery. Our goal is to hold wrongdoers responsible for their negligent actions, and obtain the economic resources needed to compensate you for any loss of property, health, or quality of life.
Experience and Knowledge: As a former insurance defense attorney, Travis knows how insurance companies think, act, and evaluate claims. Understanding the insurance playing field and the tactics used by each party gives him a distinct advantage. Travis has an equal level of experience prosecuting cases on the plaintiff side, specifically focused on personal injury cases.
Courtroom Strength: Better settlements come with being prepared and willing to litigate cases. Travis is a seasoned litigator and effective advocate who is willing to pursue a jury trial, if that is the path that will yield the best settlement for his clients.
Honest and Objective Evaluation: Leveraging extensive legal expertise, Travis objectively assesses the strengths and weaknesses of each case, and helps clients determine the type of legal representation and strategy that will best meet their settlement goals.
Accessible and Responsive: Focused on each client’s unique situation and goals, Travis provides personal attention and open communication. Travis’s personal working style with clients is one of communication, education, and consensus building, all aimed at developing trust. When Travis works with insurance companies and their lawyers he is professional, firm, and always on the edge of aggressive.